Saturday, March 11, 2017

Beginning

Spring Break is a welcome reprieve from the rat race of the school day.  I do love to travel, but with three boys (7, 3, and 1), travel is often more burdensome than enjoyable.  And the sheer amount of stuff we have to bring along.  Uff.  No.  I'd much prefer to hang around town, enjoy a slower pace, and take care of things I've put off too long. There are plenty of things to do and the boys love "home days," as they call them.

While the break is welcome, it also provides long stretches of time to think without any pressing agenda to which to return, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.  My mind never really shuts off.  I'm not a good sleeper.  Most nights, I wake around 2 or so and lie awake for hours.  I think about the growing list of things I'd like to check off.  It takes me a long time to think about some things before I'm able to bring myself to begin them.  Then break arrives and I can't fall back on the easy excuse of being busy.  And much like the way I've allowed the laundry to collect in various hampers and baskets, so too have I allowed unaddressed ideas and issues to collect.  Nothing's scattered all over the metaphorical floor of my mind -- it's all contained -- but it's not sorted, it's not organized, and it's not been addressed, merely stored (albeit in a precarious pile that's threatening to spill over).

So that's a goal for break.  To begin.  And to be okay with the fact that sorting through those waiting containers will be a bit messy, but just as with the hamper, I'm sure to find the equivalent of a favorite shirt I forgot about. It's easier to move forward when we know what we're dealing with and when it feels like everything is in it's right place.

Cheers to beginning.

7 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your sorting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your break, the time with your kiddos, and your sorting (especially that favorite shirt!). Thanks for a smile-inducing post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel...sometimes things are overwhelming. Do one thing at a time. Cross it off the list. Celebrate that you did it with a small reward, then onto the next one. :) Good luck!!

    My blog: https://aggiekesler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is easier to move forward when you glimpse a bit of a path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh good luck - so not fun to sort. but you will conquer it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your March Break - sounds like it will be a busy one. Sometimes just putting those thoughts away for a while helps to sort them, so you can come back refreshed. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm rather envious of a spring break. But I understand the need to take care of things that have been put off. In fact, my morning coffee time tomorrow will be spent in list making. I love a good list and it puts me in the frame of mind to cross things off!

    ReplyDelete